Do you need to erase and reinstall macOS on your Mac Mini M1 Apple Silicon Mac? If so a few things have changed! This is a step-by-step guide that will show you all that you need to know to boot your Mac Mini to macOS Recovery & reinstall macOS Big Sur! I will show you 2 different ways.
1. Use the internal macOS recovery = 2 Hours total reinstall time
2. Use Big Sur USB Installer Drive = 45 Min total reinstall time
I will go over the following
How to boot to macOS recovery on your Apple Silicon Mac Mini
How to erase your hard drive on your Apple Silicon Mac Mini
How to reinstall macOS on your Apple Silicon Mac Mini with Recovery
How to reinstall macOS on your Apple Silicon Mac Mini with a USB Big Sur Installer hard drive or flash drive.
Order of that you should follow for reinstalling macOS on Apple Silicon.
1. macOS Recovery
2. System Recovery – (Will boot automatically if macOS Recovery is unavailable)
3. macOS Big Sur USB Installer Drive – (External boot for macOS Installers is enabled by default on Apple Silicon)
4. Apple Configurator 2 REVIVE option – This option will reinstall macOS Recovery (retains user data on the SSD hard drive)
5. Apple Configurator 2 RESTORE option – This option will Reinstall macOS Recovery, ERASE your SSD hard drive and reinstall macOS
Apple has just posted a new articles on macOS recovery, booting to DFU mode and how to restore macOS Firmware.
Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon
macOS Recovery is the built-in recovery system of your Mac.
You can use the apps in macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon to repair your internal disk, reinstall macOS, restore your files from a Time Machine backup, set the security policy for different disks, transfer files between two Mac computers, start up in safe mode and more.
Reinstalling macOS requires an internet connection. To connect to the internet, you can use a wireless or wired network connection. See Connect to the internet using Wi-Fi.
Note: if you’re trying to connect to a captive portal (for example, at a coffee shop, library or hotel) or an enterprise network, you might not be able to access the internet in macOS Recovery.
This video is is for the following Apple Silicon Macs
Apple Silicon M1 Mac Mini
Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Air
Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Pro 13″
– Apple Mac Enterprise IT Blog & macOS News for MacAdmins
Mac Transition to Apple Silicon Everything you need to know!
New Article How to reinstall macOS on your Apple Silicon Mac
How to boot your Apple Silicon Mac into DFU mode + Restore macOS with Apple Configurator 2.
macOS ISPW Firmware Database – Download Full macOS ISPW Files!
MacOS Big Sur Index of need to know changes! (UPDATED)
macOS System Status (Issues) – OS, Xprotect & App Version Database
Subscribe to “The Apple Ninja’s” YouTube! If it wasn’t for him, I would not even be on YouTube today. Thank you!!!